Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Plants that look great in the winter


When its cold outside we sometimes overlook the beautiful accents to our landscape provided by evergreens. Not all shrubs and trees loose their beauty in the winter, some become the focal point of the winter landscape. The true test of a well balanced landscape plan is one where there is year- round "seasonal" interest. so here are some of my "PICKS" for picture perfect winter plantings.
NANDINA or it's common name is heavenly bamboo. Unlike true bamboo it will not take over your garden. Its berries are a wonderful contrast to the grays of winter, and provide birds a treat. The leaves turn a variety of colors including a deep scarlet. This variety is Nandina domestica "firepower".
Miscanthus sinensis or commonly known as "Maiden Grass".
This is a wonderful addition to any garden. Easy to maintain in all seasons and can be divided to create more plantings throughout your property. During the cold months the foliage turns a soft brown that will contrast beautifully against an evergreen backdrop. The best part however is when the plumes catch the frost and sparkle in the sunlight. It makes for a nice display.

Polystichum acrostichiodes
or commonly known as "Christmas Fern"
This fern provide a splash of green in an otherwise brown winter forest. As with most shade plants it prefers moist loose soil. It is best to plant the fern in the spring or fall, this way the plant will have a chance to settle its root systems before the heat of summer. It is a low maintenance fern and once established its clumps can be divided and placed to create a wonderful shade garden.

4 comments:

Holly said...

I love it Lyn! It gives me inspiration to get out in the yard! I don't have to do it all in one day, just pick a task - I love your list. Funny all of those things need to be done in my yard!

Amanda in GA said...

Maybe I can put things in my yard and have them live :) Thanks the blog looks great!

Bonnie said...

I loved gardening until I moved to GA! But knowledge will help me overcome that I'm sure!! Is it too late to put my bulbs in? I uhh left them in the freezer! My raspberries finally did well this year!

Goldilocks said...

Great article and very nicely organized blog. Two thumbs up! I'll be checking in on a regular basis, so I expect to have a beautiful yard this year. :-)